Armenia


Armenia, the land of the singing birds and home of the old, indestructible 4x4 Lada's.





Armenia has a few incredible highlights and whereas during my past bicycle trips I hadn’t really taken the time to do cultural visits, therefore I didn't miss out on Armenias old churches and monasteries.


Tatov monastery






Lake Sevan 



















However, what impressed me the most was the never ending singing of the birds.

I have tried to avoid the main roads by taking smaller and sometimes more difficult off-road alternatives. Immediately  feeling in the middle of nowhere; with only insects and birds creating the background music.


go left by the old can...











The other thing that struck me directly in the heart, was the kindness of the people, sometimes their thoughtfulness was just overwhelming. Everyone is ready to help you; to offer you food, coffee or a place to sleep and without being too insistant or intrusive. 
You could actually traverse Armenia on a bike without any luggage, because the locals give you all you need and what’s more you can leave your bike anywhere; Nobody will touch it or touch any of your stuff..




But I have to admit, I feel tired. Very tired. From not riding a bike at all, to pushing a very heavy bike for 2 weeks, every day all day long...  It has been quiet a shock to my body.










I had to go back to Yerevan for my visa, so I took the bus, a welcome opportunity to rest a little. Then after a few final beers in the capital and being shaken up on the bus;  I returned to the south of Armenia, hoping to feel fit again for the next country: Iran!

If Mr Trump could hold back his military sanctions for a while, that would be nice...!














nothing beats a good camping spot!


The longest reversible aerial tramway built in only one section, and holds the record for longest non-stop double track cable car. In Armenia. 


armenian graveyards with pictures..


a lot of old empty sovjet buildings... even in the smallest villages.

caravanserai: a roadside Inn on the silkroad highway. This one was built in 1332, by prince Chesar Orbelian to accommodate weary travelers and their animals. 




Comments

  1. Super Lies, bedankt om ons een beetje te laten meereizen. Benieuwd naar het volgend hoofdstuk Iran!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts